The living green walls are turning out to be a modern trend seen in most of the households as well as the offices. They come along with a lot of benefit such as health benefits, reducing the level of noise, and so on. Though everyone may have dreamt of having such a green wall but in few cases people may be wondering how can these work out in cases of small spaces such as the urban areas. Let us have a look at few of the tips for creating living green walls for small spaces as well.
It is important to note certain things before starting on with these living green walls and those are, there should be an area at the site which should be sunny, try to not build these walls too high else it would become difficult to maintain them properly or avoid making any such structures taller else you would not be able to reach them, the support system upon which you build them should be strong and sturdy enough that it would be able to handle weight of everything on its own, also the supporting wall against which you would be placing the structure should be able to withstand constant and a lot of moisture. With all of this being said, the living green walls are one of the most flexible form of gardening or landscaping system
- Pocket or Pallet structure: These structures are considered to be one of the ideal ways of growing various kinds of plants, flowers or herbs. These fit in perfectly in small spaces and one advantage you can take is that it can be easily placed at a sunny area such as the area that is facing the fence or the brightest region of the patio or the terrace thereby making use of use and loading it with plants. The pallet structure is known to be the ideal one for small spaces and the reason is because they can be easily segregated into multiple compartments when it comes to planting various species of plants, also they are sturdy and strong enough to act as a protection to the plants just in case of windy air. These structures are cheap to be purchased.
- Garden Tower: The self-reliant garden tower is seen to be one of the highest performing gardening system that is available in the market. It comes along with some amazing features such as, it just fits in four square feet and can grow up to 40 to 50 plants. This tower rotates easily for accessing enough of sunlight to all the plants, it helps in recycling nutrients, saves a lot of water as well as vermicomposts. This structure is very much easy to use and access and something that even the senior citizens can use. This is considered to be one of the ideal solutions for those having space restricting to only their balcony, terraces of the patio.
- Gutter System: This is considered to be one of the best tip for small spaces since it would mean reusing the old gutter sections for gardening. It is very much similar to the window box. These gutters are known to get the shorter end of the stick when it is concerned with gardening and the reason for the same is because people normally tend to go for it is when they are looking to replace their rooftop gutters. The gutters can be used for growing a lot of varied kind of plants. All you would need to do is just drill few holes into the bottom of each of the section so as to allow for adequate amount of drainage, then add enough of compost rich soil after which you can tuck in your desired plants. However, one thing you would need to ensure is that the plants you choose should not be taking too much of space.
- Ladder planter: You can take your creativity to another level if you have a free ladder at home that is no longer used for any purpose. With the help of this ladder you can build up your own ladder planter wherein it would help you in sorting all sorts of plants mostly the smaller ones since they take in less of space. This is an interesting idea for standing up against the fence. These ladder planters have loads of room for the planting and they are considered to be the ideal one for planting herbs, succulents and flowers. You can also look to have a small vegetable garden. With the help of these ladders you can also create something known as the step vertical garden since it is something very much easy to build up and also would provide for a lot of planting space. For this you would need to have rectangular long pots placed on the ladder or in place of the steps.
- Bottle Garden: The bottle gardening can be done in any form; these bottles can be hung for planting various plants or they can be attached with a string to the wall. There are a lot of old bottles which can be easily recycled however you would need to ensure to drill a hole. But in certain cases some plants may not reach their full size due to the small space of the container. Herbs can be very well stored in these containers.
- Shoe Divider organizer: Another easier way of making a living green wall or a vertical garden at your small space is to make use of the shoe organizer. You can anytime look to hang in those sacks on to a nail and then fill them up with soil. Make a small hole in these pockets.
Irrespective of the structure that you would use for creating living green walls for small spaces, other things that also matter is the type of plant you are looking to place in those structures, the arrangement for water and the sunlight. Keeping all of this in mind you can surely make a successful living green walls for small spaces as well.